Thursday, June 21, 2018

Natural Surroundings

Today was the Yolo Ag plein air paintout. The location was on the outskirts of Winters CA. A long dirt path led to his setup on a hill. Steve has a plan to keep the area natural and was so happy for us to be there. We had to stick to a narrow path because of tics and rattle snakes. (No snakes were seen.) It was hot and only 8:30AM. I set up my umbrella with my easel and did a value sketch. Suddenly, a burst of 9 wild boars came running by and there were many hawks sailing the updrafts looking for a meal. The land is dry and hardened as I found hammering in my umbrella. The hills are magnificent with shrubs and dry grains. The two large eucalyptus trees were together in a valley. One cast a partial shadow over the other so it was somewhat of a problem to completely separate them with light and value. This painting could easily be done using only yellow and green, but I love the challenge of mixing greens.

No comments: