Monday, June 18, 2018

2nd and G Streets

Natives know that the corner of 2nd and G Streets is a very busy place but not today. I was out early with my sketch pad and camera. The students are finished with school and Davis is a quiet place...no lines at the market, plenty of parking spaces and no or few speeding bikes. Summer is here and this happens downtown. I brought my sketches home and painted the scene. The trees are always a challenge with distant, middle and foreground ones. By making the foreground tree a warm green it comes forward and the middle tree is dark and has shade so it becomes the darkest.I did not sketch out shapes of leaves but left values to differentiate them. My focus area is the figures and car. I feel caught between painting foliage as a silhouette or fussing with edges and shapes. I suppose there is a time for each.

No comments: