Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Painting on the UCDavis Arboretum

It is Wednesday which is about the only day that is different for me. We have a small group that goes plein air painting on Wed. For the past month we have explored many areas of the beautiful arboretum on the UCDavis Campus. We freely park and move about and then join up to show our paintings. It is a group that has been together for a long time. We keep our social distance and were face covers when together. Today we were in the Redwood section. The sun was out for awhile with a chill in the air. We have been in the 90's over the past week. I paint quickly and have been experimenting with rather abstract landscapes. I do not bone out details of branches, leaves or most shrubs. My second painting was rather blah when I looked at it so I used gouache on the two foreground trees. I like the result although I only have the 3 primary colors in gouache and find mixing difficult. I doubt I will be using it for entire paintings anytime soon.

No comments: