Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Reeds and Muddy Water

Our plein air venture this morning took us just off Rt 113 east of Dixon. The hills were dry and yellow. The vernal ponds of spring are long gone along with their colorful flowers. This slough was the only water and only bit of green nearby. The eucalyptus trees are dull green and the banks of the slough are brown with reeds. Standing above the slough on a bridge, I tried my skill at painting the many reed islands. The blue sky added just a hint of blue water which was otherwise, muddy. The water was shallow and calm. I used a dry brush technique on the reeds but it was difficult to differentiate reeds. I rewet after drying and scraped some lines with my palate knife to indicate reeds. A trucker stopped and wondered whether I was fishing salmon. Not sure I would eat any fish out of this muddy water.

No comments: