Monday, April 15, 2013

A Friend Indeed

Have been traveling and entertaining guests, and it has upset my art discipline. Generally, I engage daily with painting and variations such as, figure drawing, plein air painting and studio work.  It amazes me how quickly I can lose this after traveling for a week and having house guests for another week.  I wouldn't give up any of this but must get back to painting.  My friend, the Davis Train Station, is always there and has been used for a thousand variations in my work.  Returning to the subjects I got away from and my artistic inertia goes away.  The practiced familiar working habits and familiar subjects help me to hang on.  This is a very important discovery for me.  I'm sure that others have rituals that keep them working.

 I spent the afternoon painting the station and feeling wonderful.  It was warm and sunny and the location  was quiet.  Being a Sunday, it meant unlimited parking, so I just took my time and concentrated.  This subject never fails to jump start me.  I will be ready for the upcoming paint outs and plein air classes that I will be teaching.

No comments: