Friday, March 22, 2013

OAK PARK VISTA





Our group gathered in the old Sacramento neighborhood of Oak Park.  Someone wanted to paint this church building but the sun was on the back.  Looking around I was struck with how many wonderful sites are there for painting in Oak Park.  This area was one of the original Sacramento neighborhoods and was very high class.  Then came changes in the 70's with drugs and crack houses.  It is now on its way back with many of these unique, one of a kind, houses being restored along with some of the old business fronts

The structure was pink.  The trees are not yet blossomed. A green canopy would add a nice contrast in color.  This was a quick sketch and painting.  You never know what will come out of a quick painting, but often, I find things that really intrigue me.  I particularly like the cast shadow on the pink wall.  I did this by adding some sap green to permanent rose.

No comments: